All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 pm

Post subject: Updated Profiles for the Lord of the Rings Models
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:26 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello,

I've really enjoyed the new Hobbit book (TABA) and how almost all the models have thematic special rules that really capture how those characters are portrayed in the books and films. My guess is that sometime late next year the Middle-earth team will be giving the old Lord of the Rings models a long awaited revision. So I thought I'd try my hand at a few profiles. Here's what I came up with for Aragorn, Sauron, and the Witch-King. Let me know what you guys think!

This is single profile for Aragorn for the Fellowship, Gondor, and Arnor/Grey Company army lists.

Aragorn (Man) Points: 175

Move F S D A W C M/W/F
6” 6/3+ 4 4 3 3 6 3*/3/3

Wargear
Sword, the Ring of Barahir

Options
Anduril, Flame of the West - 50
Bow - 5
Armor - 5
Heavy armor - 10
Horse - 10
Armored Horse - 15
Elven Cloak - 10
The Elendilmir - 10

The Ring of Barahir - The Ring of Barahir is an heirloom of great antiquity, forged by the High Elves of the West in ancient times. While wearing the Ring of Barahir, Aragorn is resistant to Magic.
Anduril, Flame of the West - Reforged from the shards of Narsil, the sword of kings has been restored to the heir of Isildur. Anduril is a sword and single-handed weapon. So long as Aragorn wields it he will never need more than a 4+ to wound an enemy when making strikes in close combat. In addition, Aragorn’s fight value is increased to 7. In addition, he gains the Fearless special rule.
The Elendilmir - The Elendilmir, or Star of Elendil, is an ancient heirloom of the Dunedain. A radiant jewel once worn by the High King of old. When Aragorn is wearing the Elendilmir he causes Terror.

Special Rules
*Mighty Hero

Chieftain of the Dunedain - Legolas, Gimli, and any warriors and heroes from an Arnor Grey Company army list count as being in range of banner if they are within 3” of Aragorn.
Master of the Wilderness - Aragorn can move through difficult terrain without penalty while on foot. Legolas, Gimli, and any warriors and heroes from an Arnor Grey Company army list can also move through difficult terrain without penalty while on foot so long as they are within 6” of Aragorn.
Isildur’s Heir - Aragorn may lead warbands of 24 models, instead of the usual 12. In addition, his warband may include other heroes. These other heroes may not be considered part of any other warband and may not lead warbands of their own.

The Dark Lord Sauron (Spirit) Points: 400

Move F S D A W C M/W/F
6” 9/4+ 8 10 3 5 7 3/6*/**

Wargear
Heavy armor, Mace

Options
The One Ring - 50 points

**The One Ring - So long as Sauron is in possession of the One Ring he is undefeatable. If Sauron is equipped with the One Ring, the following rules apply. If Sauron loses his final wound, roll a D6. On a 2+ the power of the Ring sustains him and he is left on the table with 1 wound remaining. Might may be used to affect this roll. This rule even applies if Sauron is slain by a special attack that would normally kill him outright (ie. Drain Soul, Breath Fire, etc.). In which case, if the One Ring roll is successful, Sauron is left on the board with 1 wound remaining. If Sauron looses multiple wounds that would otherwise be his final wound, the controlling player must roll the One Ring roll for each of these wounds.

If Sauron is in possession of the One Ring, then no good model may have it. If Sauron does not have the Ring, and a Good model puts it on, he is instantly removed as a casualty. He has fallen on the sway of the Dark Lord.

Finally, though the Dark Lord had no direct hand in their making, the three Elven rings are still bound to the power of the One. If Sauron is equipped with the One Ring, any model bearing one of the Three Elven Rings, Narya, Nenya, and Vilya, suffers a -1 to their Fate Rolls.

Special Rules
Terror, Ancient Evil, Resistant to Magic

*Lord of the Ring - Sauron may expend a free point of Will every turn without reducing his own store

Unstoppable - If Sauron wins a Duel Roll, he may instead of making strikes as normal, swoop his mace in a deadly arc. If he does this, all models engaged in the fight, and any supporting spear and pike armed models, suffer 1 strike from the Dark Lord.

The Black Hand - If Sauron wins a Duel Roll, and makes all 3 of his strikes against a single enemy model, and that model does not die, that model is immediately Set Ablaze by the heat of Sauron’s Black Hand.

Dark Lord of Mordor - Sauron is the absolute ruler of Mordor and all his subjects fear him more than they do any foe. Any warrior or hero of Mordor count as being in range of a banner if they are within 6” of the Dark Lord. In addition, Sauron’s standfast has a range of 12” instead of 6”. Also, unlike other heroes, Sauron’s standfast affects other heroes from the Mordor army list. Finally, as the Dark Lord controls all the hosts of Mordor, Sauron’s warband may consist of 24, not 12 models.

Master of the Ringwraiths - If any Ringwraith, named or not, is within 6” of Sauron and has been involved in a fight that turn, roll a D6. On a 4+, the Ringwraith does not have to expend a point of will for having been in combat that turn.

Magic Powers
Dain Courage 18” 2+
Transfix 18” 2+
Compel 18” 3+
Sap Will 18” 3+
Curse 18” 3+
Your Staff is Broken 18” 4+
Chill Soul 18” 4+

The Witch-King of Angmar (Spirit) Points: 70-150

Move F S D A W C M/W/F
6” 5/4+ 4 8 1 1 6 0-3/10-20/0-3

Wargear
Armor and sword

Options
Morgul Blade (Sword) - 10 Points
Horse - 10
Armored Horse -15
Flail - 5
Fellbeast - 70*
Armored Fellbeast - 80*
Horned Fellbeast - 85*
Crown of Morgul - 50 Points*

*May only be taken as part of a Mordor army list

Crown of Morgul - If the Witch-King is wearing the Crown of Morgul, his Fight Value is increased to 6 and his Attacks value is increased to 3.

Special Rules
Terror, Harbinger of Evil, The Will of Evil, Might/Will/Fate

Lord of the Nazgul - If another Ringwraith successfully casts a Magic power within 6” of the Witch-King of Angmar, he regains a single point of Will lost earlier in the game. Also, the Witch-King of Angmar does not have to give up Will for being in a Fight if he wins the Duel Roll. If the Witch-King is involved in a Heroic Combat, he must win the Duel Roll of the second combat as well, or else he will be forced to give up a point of will. Finally, other Ringwraiths may benefit from the Witch-King’s stanfast even though they are heroes.
The Black Captain - The Witch-King is at the height of his power when he leads the host of Morgul against the White City. If the Witch-King is included in a Mordor army list with all his Might, Will, and Fate, and is equipped with the Crown of Morgul, he gains the Ancient Evil special rule (not this is not cumulative with similar effects). In addition, he may lead warbands of 24 models, rather than the usual 12. Note, in scenarios (such as in a campaign) where the Witch-King is wearing the Crown of Morgul but starts with less than his full store of Might, Will, or Fate, he may still lead warbands of 24 models.
Morgul Lord - Any Morgul Knights in the Witch-King’s warband will automatically pass any courage test they are required to take so long as the Witch-King is alive.

Magical Powers
Drain Courage 12” 2+
Transfix 12” 3+
Compel 12” 4+
Your Staff is Broken 12” 4+
Black Dart 12” 5+

Note I would make other changes to the Ringwraiths, such as removing the Sap Will spell and taking away the Undying's Acarna Leech rule
 Post subject: Re: Updated Profiles for the Lord of the Rings Models
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:48 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I like these. I don't have the new book but these seem thematic.

I'm not sure why Aragorn is no longer defence 5.

I would also have Anduril means his Fight matches his opponent if it is above Fight 6- to match him to troll chieftains like in the movie or other things.

I think all evil models should auto pass courage tests if Sauron lives and should count as broken as soon as he dies. Don't want to be able to ignore him as that could be frustrating and feels quite thematic.

I'd also have some kind of knock down effect when he dies like in the movie.

Like it all though!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:27 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Very cool profiles, thematic and look like fun to play

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:43 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think Aragorn should get Anduril for free. Dwalin, for example, wounds on 3-4+ on many things and cost less then half Aragorn with Anduril, so I think Aragorn should get the flame of west to chop through stuff. I like the rest of it though.

P