All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 pm

Post subject: New Harad Player/Collector
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:12 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey folks!

Just wanted to post a quick intro and wanted to ask for some opinions from the community. I used to play this game back when it first came out and lasted a couple of years. I am thankful to have kept my big tub of miniatures because I was disappointed to find out that while the units still costed the same, they contain only HALF of the amount I used to be able to get in the same darn box. I am very excited to get back into the game and have splurged like no tomorrow on local models.

I want to focus on Harad this time 'round and was hoping to see what I could use to make a well rounded force and what else I should invest in.

I've got:
70 Harad warriors
1 Mumak
5 Harad Raiders
1 Harad Lord ft/mounted
1 harad banner + 1 captain
1 suladan
1 king of harad
9 nazgul on foot
2 mounted nazgul
3 nazgul on felbeasts
3 easterlings with pike
3 easterlings sword and shield
1 easterling cap + 1 banner
Corsair Bo'sun + captain + 1 archerr

I was thinking of painting up 12 harad as Count as Serpent Guards (OOP) and 12 as Count as Watchers of Karna (Not in stock in the Canadian GW site). I'm on the mailing list for more Harad raiders. The 5 i have are the old metal raiders, so I was going to paint them as count as serpent riders.

I suppose my question would be:
Would it be worth it to buy a box of corsairs, to play as count as reavers?
Are the Half trolls recommended? If they are, would only 2 or 4 be useful?

Having seen the stats for abrakan guards, they don't much interest me.

Are serpent riders going to be discontinued in the next book? They aren't even on GW's website any longer.

Thanks for listening! Cheers
 Post subject: Re: New Harad Player/Collector
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi, great to see a new player, especially a Harad one! I would probably stay away from Corsairs, since you already have a bunch of Harad. I would suggest getting the Golden King first. He is great both for money and points.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:26 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

McGarnacle wrote:
Hi, great to see a new player, especially a Harad one! I would probably stay away from Corsairs, since you already have a bunch of Harad. I would suggest getting the Golden King first. He is great both for money and points.

Thanks for the tip!

I've already put in an order for the Golden King, 6 abrakan guards, and 2 half trolls. I figure that should hold me over for a while!

Do you think it would be worth it to convert some of the harad into watchers of karna and serpent guard ?
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:13 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

You could always make room for another mumak! imagine 2 or 3 of those beasts running riot! ;)
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:28 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I started playing Harad last month, so don't have that much experience.
Half-trolls have been doing wonders for me. I have 6 and refuse to leave home without them. 2 wounds and high defence provide scary staying power. Most people choose not to focus on them which works for me as they are my main damage dealers.
I think everyone agrees that watchers of karna are underpriced. In my experience they are the priority target for enemy archers and struggle with wounding. But that's compared to half trolls and merchant guard. I mostly use them to pin terror causing enemies, as the rest of harad lacks courage.
Hope that helps.
P.s. whenever I think about using a chieftain I always try to find the points to upgrade him to a taskmaster. Free heroic actions feel so good.
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:28 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Turtleclaw wrote:
I started playing Harad last month, so don't have that much experience.
Half-trolls have been doing wonders for me. I have 6 and refuse to leave home without them. 2 wounds and high defence provide scary staying power. Most people choose not to focus on them which works for me as they are my main damage dealers.

A good point! They are tough as nails and look so small for what they can do. I'll be happy to try the two I have. I find that if I wanted to take everything I wanted to I'd end up playing a two thousand point game I think. What does harad use for ani Calvalry? Just felbeasts and mumak?
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:18 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

So far I haven't noticed a significant need for anti cavalry with Harad. My half-trolls were able to go toe to toe with rivendell knights and are likely to come out on top against lesser horseman. I imagine a skirmish Rohan force might be something to fear with Harad generally low defence, but you should be able to outshoot them with the 50% bow limit.