All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 pm

Post subject: How to beat up enemy fellbeast?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:46 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

So... Here is a few ideas:

1. Nature's wrath... Does this mean that enemy would loose the fellbeast because knocked to the ground?

2. Charge with S7 monster. Dragon is not purely a monstrous mount, so i am not sure if he can knock a fellbeast down, but i assume so? And also shelob can? What about trolls, can they do anything specific to fellbeast?

3. Archering. If i am right, cavalry cannot aid their horses/monstrous mounts. So, just 3 shot with arrow and bb fellbeast... This should be incredible easy, considering how vicible these fellbeasts are -> everyone sees to shoot them?

4. Is it in general easier to kill the fellbeast than the rider?
 Post subject: Re: How to beat up enemy fellbeast?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:36 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Salattu wrote:
So... Here is a few ideas:

1. Nature's wrath... Does this mean that enemy would loose the fellbeast because knocked to the ground?

2. Charge with S7 monster. Dragon is not purely a monstrous mount, so i am not sure if he can knock a fellbeast down, but i assume so? And also shelob can? What about trolls, can they do anything specific to fellbeast?

3. Archering. If i am right, cavalry cannot aid their horses/monstrous mounts. So, just 3 shot with arrow and bb fellbeast... This should be incredible easy, considering how vicible these fellbeasts are -> everyone sees to shoot them?

4. Is it in general easier to kill the fellbeast than the rider?

1. Yes but it's unlikely for a fell beast to be knocked down by nature's wrath, since their riders have lots of will to resist and might to boost a failed roll.

2: a monster can just throw the rider away.

3: doable, but not easy. The archers have to hit first, then hit the beast rather than the rider, then wound on 6 (5+ for crossbows). It's possible for armies like the Grey company, but even an average player will never expose the fellbeast too much.

4: it depends on who the attackers and the rider are. Once I trapped one and got in with a piercing striking Dain Ironfoot, so I aimed at the rider (Shadowlord). As a rule of thumb, S3 and S4 models without bonus should try to get rid of the best (as should anyone else if the rider is the undying).
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:03 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

1. Call winds or sorcerous blast would really be better at dismounting fell beasts since the range is longer on them than natures wrath.

2. It can work but hurling something else into the fellbeast will work much better. Keeping the monster from getting transfixed while you line the shot up though is a pain. Plus dragon fire works really well too.

3. I have been trying to shoot down fellbeats from years and most of the time I find they just eat arrows that would be better spent on infantry or cavalry models instead. The older models in particular can always be placed behind the line to get two or more in the way rolls and while how fast they can move they often run into combat to get away from arrows. I have see a siege weapon do the job once but that is even rarer.

4. What Dikey said.

One thing to consider is using the bash special strike from heroes like Dain to force a dismount. I heard tell of a Grimhammer pulling it off but I reckon they would have a harder time winning the fight without heroes support. Still it is work considering.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:11 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Fellbeast is up in the air, no obstacles in the way... It should be easy to shoot?

How can monster throw a ringwraith from fellbeast? Let,s say shelob runs intofellbeast will she hurl or what?

Can dragon knock a fellbeast down with draconig charge?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:03 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

No, that is not how the cover system works. A model only needs to be partially obscured from view and it gets the cover of whatever is in the way, whether it is in the air or not. That is way people use the older model since the tail runs to the base giving it cover from most everything a normal model would get it from.

A monster could hurl the fell beast if it won a fight with it and the fell beast model would get thrown. After the throw ended the rider and mount would be separated like normal and the fell beast would run away, leaving the wraith on the ground.

Monstrous mounts treat each other like cavalry treat other cavalry so even if the dragon charges like a monstrous mount, which I don't think it does but the detail escapes me, it would not unseat a wraith from a fell beast just by charging.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:28 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Blue Ring Edition book, page 16: ""If the enemy is visible from the model's eye view, then the warrior can see it. In many cases you will be able to see bits of an enemy model but not all of it - in that case the warrior can see so long as part of the enemy's body is clealy vicible. For "body" we mean its torso, limbs and head, but we exclude its tail, which in the case of some creatures is exceedinly long.

If you can't see any part of a model's body, but you can see the tip of a weapon, back pack, its tail or a piece of equipment or decoration we assume the model can't be seen."

Has this rule changed? Old times/here the tail was/is not in the way.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:10 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The Unexpected Journey rule book omits these finer distinctions in both the line of sight for charging and making in the ways, pages 22 and 32 respectively.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:09 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

So where this discussion ended?

As for the shooting, (-)

Counter magic. The good mage sacks the evil mage and vice versa.

Playing second and the evil player makes the mistake to charge. You won't see thatin tournaments except if you manage to force your opponent make it.

Last edited by Valadorn on Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:49 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

"As for the shooting, I believe it is a god way to invest your arrows only if you have high courage models: elves, citadel archers and even dwarves. If MT get the +1 courage, I will try many rangers with C4 to shoot it down."

Courage? Now I am officially out of this game, if shooting with arrows requires a courage test?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:06 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

(wrong topic direction)

Last edited by Valadorn on Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:34 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Valadorn wrote:

There are two reasons aroows are ineffective against Fellbeasts and their riders. The one is the high defence and the other one is the terror rule. If you send 10 archers with C3, possibilities are that fewer than half of them will shoot their arrows to the monster or the rider. Considering the second "str and armor" filter, it is a waste of arrows.

Sorry, I don't get your point. Archers may as well have courage 1, that doesn't mean anything as long as they shoot. The courage kicks in only when they have to charge, but we are talking about shooting. Wheter they are fearless or not, the terror rule does not kick in as long as they shoot.