All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 am

Post subject: I know his uses, and they are few
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:42 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

This is the first episode of our new column, named after Denethor's thoughts on his younger son, where we analize those models hardly seen on the battlefield by comparing them with other models in their own army list at the same prince and try to find some use for them (id est: shamefully exploiting loopholes)

The first episode is dedicated to the Knight of the White Tower
 Post subject: Re: I know his uses, and they are few
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I like the knight of the white tower. However his lack of might makes me want a few things. Independent. Hero status, a free heroic strike per turn or take away his hero status and run him as an elite troop. Probably in the 15 point realm.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:10 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nice kind of an sbg article. Hope the series are going to continue!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:50 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

his sword rule is good and all but being able to avoid it with 1 fate point makes it kinda meek and monsters usually have a higher fight then him and he only has 1 might to help him on that. and it doesn't help though fury either. honestly he is a weak hero with a intresting rule and gear for the army but only will ever be run for fun.

now that doesn't mean he cannot have his moments to shine but all heros have had this one moment *me looking at frodo of the nine fingers throwing a rock at my wounded captain*
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I love the model so much but alas, can't see a place for him in my forces right now.

As jdizzy says, I would much rather he were an elite troop choice above the Fountain Guard point value rather than a full "captain" points range figure.

I bought Elendil and Isildur purely to paint / convert them up as KotWT proxies.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I don't mind the Fate blocking the double-wounds too much, I don't mind the single Might point too much either, what I do mind is that he doesn't have either Burly (which isn;t overly thematic) or Weapons Master (much more thematic and more suited ruleswise as well). He is a waste of points compared to a captain with shield for the simple fact that he has -1 to his Duel rolls to make use of his special rule: to not make use of his special rule means he's as many points as a captain with shield but without certain bonuses (like defence or shielding or the extra might etc).

However, I'd argue that Pippin is still a worse choice (especially since Merry, as stated in round two, has access to a shield and comes with the Horn of the Riddermark andis the exact same number of points) - especially since you can still make use of the Knight of the White Tower in a positive way (he just needs a whole bunch of support to overcome the -1 Duel roll penalty) against monsters and characters.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hashut's Blessing wrote:
However, I'd argue that Pippin is still a worse choice (especially since Merry, as stated in round two, has access to a shield and comes with the Horn of the Riddermark andis the exact same number of points) - especially since you can still make use of the Knight of the White Tower in a positive way (he just needs a whole bunch of support to overcome the -1 Duel roll penalty) against monsters and characters.

But is Pippin AND 3-4 WoMT a worse choice? Cause that's what you get for the same points.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:06 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Lord Hurin wrote:
Hashut's Blessing wrote:

But is Pippin AND 3-4 WoMT a worse choice? Cause that's what you get for the same points.

Pippin is always the worst choice, being unable to lead troops.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Now that Two Handed weapons can be supported, I've been meaning to put a pair Galadhrim Guard Pikes behind him...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:52 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Honestly.....there's few models in the game I care less about than the knight.

Is he King Arthur? Is he going on a Crusade to the middle east? WTF is the point of this guy?

Games Workshop needed a fourth thing to put in the box set and looked to Warhammer Fantasy instead of LOTR. Lol Weird model aesthetic and weird profile.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:37 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
Games Workshop needed a fourth thing to put in the box set and looked to Warhammer Fantasy instead of LOTR. Lol Weird model aesthetic and weird profile.

I don't know if I agree about his aesthetics, he's basically wearing Guard of the Fountain Court armour/ surcoat. He definitely does seem shoehorned in though. Maybe this was originally the model for Hurin, Warden of the Keys and GW repurposed him after War of the Ring fizzled? The character did have a profile for that game and the troops he lead had a GotFC-esque profile.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts