All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 pm

Post subject: Crossbows and Heroic Shoot
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:31 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi folks,

It's been a while but I remember that me and the other WotR player had an argument about Heroic Shoot and Crossbows. Namely, he said that he can use HS after moving to shoot with his crossbowmen, but I was thinking he could not.

- Heroic Shoot says "they may even shoot if they have moved their full distance in the preceding move phase, even though most formations not normally permitted to do so"
- crossbows say: "a formation may not fire its crossbows if it moved any distance in the preceding move phase"

I asked Mat Ward about this on Twitter, but no answer. In my interpretation, Heroic Shoot takes the normal rules for shooting into account that says they can shoot if they moved up to their half distance, which is overwritten by crossbow's no move at all to shoot. Also, HS says they can shoot even if they moved full distance - but again, crossbow allows no movement at all.

If this was clarified in a FAQ that I did not find, then sorry, and please share it with me. Thank you for your help in advance.
 Post subject: Re: Crossbows and Heroic Shoot
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:06 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think you can HS Crossbows and move. That is the way I've played it anyway.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:18 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I agree with McGarnacle, I see no reason because HS could not be applied to crossbow formations as well.

Aurë entuluva!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

As said, you can move and then Heroic Shoot.

Basically, the no movement if you want to shoot rule supercedes the half movement maximum if you want to shoot rule.

Then, the Heroic Shoot rule specifically states that you can shoot even if you have moved full distance, despite not normally being allowed to do this. It's all right there - "even if you have moved full" and "despite not NORMALLY being allowed to do this". It makes no exception for crossbows, no exception for 'unless you are normally unable to shoot when moving' or anything of the sort. In black and white, it states directly that you can shoot after moving, even a full move distance, irrespective of the fact you cannot normally do this. It's actually one of the main reasons to use Heroic Shoot.