All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:45 pm

Post subject: Trapped Warriors Rules
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:31 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I have a few question regarding trapped fighters and the act of trapping fighters.

Is a model trapped if it has 3 other same size models around it? Or do they have to be placed equidistant to stop the trapped fighter from backing away?

Can a model "swing around" the engagement zone after initiating a fight? Say he can only get to one side of the model before he engages, at this point can he continue swinging around the edge to attack from the other side?

When rolling dice for these fights, does the side that's trapping get to roll double to attack AND double to wound? Or just double to wound if they win?

This last question is less about trapped fighters.

If a Hobbit with one wound and one fate point loses a one on one fight trapped in a corner and the trapping model (say a goblin) rolls 2 wounding hits, can the Hobbit avoid both wounding hits via a lucky fate roll? Or does using the fate point and having a successful roll only avoid one of the wound rolls and is therefore pointless?

My WIP: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=21545&start=40
 Post subject: Re: Trapped Warriors Rules
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:40 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

A model is trapped if it simply cannot physically move away 1 inch. This will certainly be the case if three figures are all placed equidistant around it, but not necessarily if a figure is fighting against three models (if the three are all in contact with each other, the base should be able to move away easily).

Yes, as long as there is space to move and you have enough movement to do so, you can continue with your movement after entering the control zone of a figure. The only condition is that you have to end in base contact with that figure (i.e. charge it), but you can slide sideways or even to the other end of the charged figure before ending the move.

You only double the strikes, i.e. the to wound rolls, when fighting against a trapped figure. They have the chance to try and fend off their various assailants first!

Every point of Fate can only stop a single inflicted wound. If you have 1 Wound and 1 Fate and suffer 2 Wounds, no amount of luck will save you...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:15 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

As above

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:20 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks for clearing all of these up

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:33 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

In the case of player A having priority and initiating combat with one of player Bs models, during player B's move phase, can player B perform the same swinging action as noted above? <- this would make trapping player A's models more easily.

Do supporting models get extra wounding rolls as well?

If player A's model has 2 of player B's models attacking it and is back against a friend who is also battling 2 foes, are these models trapped by their friends combat?

Does the order of working out the combats change who may be trapped?

I want to make sure I have a good handle on this rule because it seems like one of the most overpowered situations!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quite right, careful positioning of models to trap them is a considerable factor in achieving victory!

-No, once a model is in combat, it cannot move in its move phase. This is why having priority can be very important.

-Yes, spear support will also get double strikes against a trapped model. Being surrounded by a bunch of opponents with supports can easily take down even the mightiest monster or hero.

-Probably. If I understand the battle situation correctly, the first will almost certainly be trapped (again, it simply depends on whether the figure can physically move away). Depending on the way the combats work out, the second figure may not be trapped, if either his friend can now make way, or if the friend is killed, thus freeing up space to back away into.

-Which figures are or aren't trapped is only determined when making the rolls in that particular duel. This makes it important to survey the battle lines carefully to see if you can spot a trapped combatant to fight first, or instead look for ways to get out of traps if you can. Again, this makes having priority very important.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:54 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks again! I'm sure I'll be back in here with more questions once the battle situations occur.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:42 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

No problem, here to help!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:10 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'm curious about monstrous mounts and units such as trolls being trapped.

Can say a ringwriath on a fell beast that has the fly rule be trapped if its base is surrounded?

Can a troll/cave troll be trapped by units with smaller bases. If the troll lost the fight wouldnt it just move 1inch away and push models aside. Its a giant troll, it could squish a man.

My brothers and I had a long debate, cause we couldnt find it in the old rule books and we were using outdated books. thanks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:30 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Normally I would say something about thread necromancy but you are asking about the older rules so I won't get to picky here. Just start a new topic next time to keep things tidy eh? The answer to both your questions is yes, it (they) can be trapped and trapped by things with smaller bases. The general rule applies unless their is an explicit exception to it. Like how terrain penalties affect all models the same way unless they get some sort of exception (flying things and woods for instance or shallow water and horses). Trapping works the same for everyone regardless of real world logic unless there is an exception in the rules or the players make a house rule. I hope that answers your question.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:36 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
Quite right, careful positioning of models to trap them is a considerable factor in achieving victory!

-No, once a model is in combat, it cannot move in its move phase. This is why having priority can be very important.

-Yes, spear support will also get double strikes against a trapped model. Being surrounded by a bunch of opponents with supports can easily take down even the mightiest monster or hero.

-Probably. If I understand the battle situation correctly, the first will almost certainly be trapped (again, it simply depends on whether the figure can physically move away). Depending on the way the combats work out, the second figure may not be trapped, if either his friend can now make way, or if the friend is killed, thus freeing up space to back away into.

-Which figures are or aren't trapped is only determined when making the rolls in that particular duel. This makes it important to survey the battle lines carefully to see if you can spot a trapped combatant to fight first, or instead look for ways to get out of traps if you can. Again, this makes having priority very important.

Did not realize that first one.
Two questions. If I have models for players A and B like this...
A B A
Player B would be trapped, yes?
Also, I noticed that the new rules did not states that I cannot double my strikes twice(trapped and prone), did I miss something?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:14 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Models that are prone are already considered trapped because they cannot back away. You can't be trapped to the power of two your just either trapped or not.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:08 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Wan Shi Tong wrote:
Models that are prone are already considered trapped because they cannot back away. You can't be trapped to the power of two your just either trapped or not.

Ah. They ised to explicitly state that in the rules, but it vanished, so was not sure. Thank you!