All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

Post subject: Lake Town Survivors
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I've slowly been accumulating lake town militia and I'm ready to ask, what are some good tactics to employ with them. Thankfully, with the upcoming percy and hilda(?) models there are some obvious ones. That aside, what is a good way to employ the lake town militia?
 Post subject: Re: Lake Town Survivors
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:44 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I don't have much experience with them, I think the main priority would be to protect Bard though due to the buffs he gives. Other than that you want to take advantage of your numbers and be careful with your deployment/movement to ensure that your opponent doesn't isolate your warbands and take you apart piecemeal.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:58 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think you wanna take the girls, probably Hilda but Gandalf is also in the list so I see myself wanting to get Bard, Gandalf and maybe Hilda or Percy.

P
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:09 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Not a lot of responses I see. I built and played them recently at a tournament. It was local, but I went 3-0 with three major victories. Mostly....thanks to the army itself.

I will say really....follow the basics.
Tons of bows, tons of defense 5 with shield, lots of troops, magic, a big hero, and buffs. Keep Bard around a large portion of your army with his banner. Keep him and Gandalf as a tag team. I liked keeping the heroes together in a bubble. Depends what force you play. Protect the girls, because if you take them and one dies, the army falls or becomes difficult to use.

If Bard is sent chasing after the model who kills them, they can kite him around and you either let a 150+ point model with upgrades die, or you put way too many resources into saving him.....

Its a simple army. Not sure what tactics specifically you want but it follows all of the basics. Spear support your front line, use the banner, shield when necessary, use Gandalf, Bard is a MONSTER with fight 6 and a heroic combat, especially when putting Alfrid in.....he often has 6 might.....its gross.

One tip is your army is REALLY dependent on the heroes. If they ever(besides bards chasing rule) are in a dangerous spot, do whatever you can to keep them alive. If Bard or Gandalf dies, things become significantly more difficult. If theyre both dead, not sure you have a good chance to win.

Any other specific questions? You have #s, defense 5, a big combat hero, magic, tons of bows....youre not lacking much at all.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:11 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Oh my list:
Bard maxed out on horse
Gandalf on horse
Daughters
Alfrid
Percy
Captain with spear and shield
49? troops 17 bows

Dont take Bain or Hilda....theres no point.

Also i had a lot of axes...dunno if you convert or whatever. If you take em to a tournament might as well.....I also dont have GW models its made entirely of other companies models.....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:12 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

That sounds right. I feel like if you move up in points I would take Hilda probably. Being able to horde out, get magic and get a great hero is an awfully good combo.
I kinda feel like Hobbits will be similar since Gandalf can lead them as well, they just don't have as a big hero, Minas tirith may get there as well.

I've been wanting to play these guys too, I don't have any of the troops but I have several sets of the Dale warriors I am thinking about using.

P
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I support with Wood Elf spears. F5, D5 with axes: deadly. No longer swarm numbers, but worth it.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:39 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

polywags wrote:
That sounds right. I feel like if you move up in points I would take Hilda probably. Being able to horde out, get magic and get a great hero is an awfully good combo.
I kinda feel like Hobbits will be similar since Gandalf can lead them as well, they just don't have as a big hero, Minas tirith may get there as well.

I've been wanting to play these guys too, I don't have any of the troops but I have several sets of the Dale warriors I am thinking about using.

These are a hard sell to people sometimes:
https://www.google.com/search?q=deus+vu ... VYPcQUN2oM:

Cheap, have ALL the same weapons not even kidding. To me if you paint and models them the right way they look fine. My group likes them after initial skepticism. If you follow the American facebook page I MAY post mine after theyre at least battlefield painted.

The price is definitely right as well. I would say this is how I think of them: Actually way different than Hobbits, but more similar to them than most lists.

Similar: Lots of shooting, Gandalf, spam troops, small heroes.
Differences: Army bonus changes things-Laketown has Bard, a combat hero. Hobbits have to ally in troops with killing power and then will lose a bonus if something changes. Even if it does, you need to ally.
Defense 5 is huge. You go from getting killed on 4's by almost all armies to having units like Ferals, Morannons, Iron Hills, and heroes wounding you on 5's. Thats epic.
Shooting.....Hobbits is indeed better. Bard is amazing and all SOMETIMES, but Hobbits can spam it out and at similar hero costs i.e. 40ish range for each of their armies heroes at lowest cost.....Hobbits in that case can provide 16 bows at 3+ to hit as opposed to 12 bows at 4+ at around the cost of 330ish for both armies. I use this number as Hobbits 4 warbands with heroes costs around that.
Both have axes, and I feel more ready to use them with hobbits.....
Laketowns heroes are different.....a bit better at Combat and leading troops with might.

Ill stop there. Lots of differences but I cant say what I like more. Bard being so point heavy affects a lot of things.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:40 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

bruceqn wrote:
I support with Wood Elf spears. F5, D5 with axes: deadly. No longer swarm numbers, but worth it.

Yeah maybe not swarm numbers but a really solid army.

D5 laketown frontline with elf spears. 2 dice at fight 5. Throw Bard in and you have a banner for those combats....amazing chance to win a fight.

Led by Legolas and you have the two best good shooting models in the game.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
These are a hard sell to people sometimes. Cheap, have ALL the same weapons not even kidding. To me if you paint and models them the right way they look fine. The price is definitely right as well.

Perry Miniatures. Outstanding sculpts, sanely priced. Some greenstuff fur trim and good to go.

1 x CU21 Unarmoured Spearmen advancing/attacking (7021) = £7.00
2 x CU22 Archers (7022) = £14.00
1 x CU26 Armed Pilgrims (7026) = £7.00
1 x CU31 Armenian Archers (7031) = £7.00
1 x CU33 Armenian Unarmoured Militia spearmen defending (7033) = £7.00
1 x AO 34 Armed peasants (2034) = £7.00
1 x AO 35 Peasants 1 (2035) = £7.00
1 x AO 36 Peasants 2 (2036) = £7.00
1 x CU27 Pilgrims (7027) = £7.00
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:59 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

bruceqn wrote:
LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
These are a hard sell to people sometimes. Cheap, have ALL the same weapons not even kidding. To me if you paint and models them the right way they look fine. The price is definitely right as well.

Perry Miniatures. Outstanding sculpts, sanely priced. Some greenstuff fur trim and good to go.

1 x CU21 Unarmoured Spearmen advancing/attacking (7021) = £7.00
2 x CU22 Archers (7022) = £14.00
1 x CU26 Armed Pilgrims (7026) = £7.00
1 x CU31 Armenian Archers (7031) = £7.00
1 x CU33 Armenian Unarmoured Militia spearmen defending (7033) = £7.00
1 x AO 34 Armed peasants (2034) = £7.00
1 x AO 35 Peasants 1 (2035) = £7.00
1 x AO 36 Peasants 2 (2036) = £7.00
1 x CU27 Pilgrims (7027) = £7.00

You quoted me for no reason whatsoever

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:16 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Great suggestions for Perry Miniatures proxies- I think I may well use those Armenian archers. But! The most obvious Laketown Survivor proxies have to be their RN 57 pack, from their Russian Napoleonics range. Absolutely perfect, no bows though.