All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 am

Post subject: [*] Legolas (Hero of the West) - by Tobold Hornblower
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:34 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Category: The Forces of Good
Type: Technique

Article Name: Legolas (Hero of the West)
Author: Tobold Hornblower
Description: A painting guide for Legolas from the Heroes of the West boxed set.

>>Read Full Article
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:23 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

This would have to be the most well written article i've ever read ( that means something, as i've never titled something "the best" ).

There is heaps of reference material to the movie, heaps of helpful tips and encouragement, and pretty much your view on every aspect.

Example :

"A primed figure, in white, is one of the nicest sights in this hobby, as far as I'm concerned. For me, my minis never look as good as they do in this state."

"For me, the eyes are the most important feature of a mini."

"I try to get my models fairly close to the film..."

There is a huge amount of inpsirantional material, and it would seem that painting the model is just half of it. If i ever write an article, i'll try and get it as close to this standed a possible.

Good Show!

Alex

BTW You seemed to have made me really want to try white primer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:57 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Splendid article! :D Thanks very much...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:26 am 
Very well written and informative article, congratulations. The end result is perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:31 am 
Dark Lord of Moria
Dark Lord of Moria

Great article Mark ! with fantastic results as always !!!

Can you please send me that airbrush...tis very, very nice !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:24 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

there are two thing I don't agree on at all ;-): 'I have shaky hands and a very unsteady eye (two of them actually)' (... burst of laughter...).
Second that you were told to paint a comic style. No, it's not the exaggerated shadow-highlighting other sites/gamesday honour, not the 'I-can-do-better-freehand-than-you seeking, by far nor the I-apply-dirt-on-all-clothes-to-hide-my-paint-stains, no, but a sincere careful, subtle and effective hightlighted very clean and precise painting - Tobold-Style!

Your article is such a pleasure to read! it is as if I had find myself in all those ponderings of colours, analysing filmscenes, etc. Sure, every painter will find things happening to him as well and new painters will get encouraged by the helpful description and also terms like 'even if it doesn't look quite right now, leave it as it is for the moment'

interesting and clever is your way to paint black lines where shadowy areas meet. (as I am the one who paintstackingly tries to paint two colours as close as possible ... , and am often failing and painting a tiny bit the other side as well...sigh... I will try your method next time)

I like the personal thoughts and emotional comments, sth that differs from articles takethiscolour-mix50/50thatcolours-recipes, sth that makes onering in general so much more appealing to me.

'Take a moment to enjoy your figure after priming it. Just look at that mini!'

and than this moving story of little Tobold in the rain at the toy store window .... cry...snief... have to stop here or I get too sentimental ...
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Fantastic article Mark!!
Legolas is another masterpiece in the Hornblower Hall of Fame!! Great job my friend!!

Beatrice wrote:
Second that you were told to paint a comic style. No, it's not the exaggerated shadow-highlighting other sites/gamesday honour, not the 'I-can-do-better-freehand-than-you seeking, by far nor the I-apply-dirt-on-all-clothes-to-hide-my-paint-stains, no, but a sincere careful, subtle and effective hightlighted very clean and precise painting - Tobold-Style!

I couldn't agree more. Mark I wouldn't classify your work as a comic book style either, in fact I believe your work lends itself more to a realistic approach. The subtle highlights (which I have adopted because of you) lead to a more natural feel, more life like. I wouldn't change a thing about the way you paint...Tobold-Style is the only way for BotWT to paint, and maybe someday I'll be half as talented a painter as you!!

Again, great article Mark! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:50 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

excellent job, excellent guide! a perfect addition to the library! thanks a lot mate!!!

;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:35 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Well, what can I say... this brings online articles to a new level.
Fantastic result (well, nothing new there...), nice step-by-step pictures explaining with detail all the stages and, I must say, what a pleasure to read!

Outstanding Mark! :wink:

*stands up and applauses*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:11 pm 
great stuff :D another great article in the library by mr.tobold

Post subject: Outstanding work, as ususal.
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Fantastic article, Mark! Well written, passionate, personal and practical. It's articles like yours that really bring the hobby to life and the community closer together. Just reading about how the hobby still thrills you and returns to you a hint of that excitement of your childhood is inspiring. I feel the same way and reading your article makes me want to skip work, head home right now and break out the paints!

Now your secrets are out for all to know! Priming in white and painting black in the folds and recesses is a technique called pre-shading that I've been using in my military models for some time now but have not applied to my LotR minis. You've put it to excellent use in your miniatures. I'll have to try it.

I think you know, I couldn't agree more with your "secret weapon" of Testors Clear Flat Lacquer. Glad the airbrush is working out for you. If you build and paint any of the larger models like the Oliphant or a Nazgul, I think you'll find your Aztek indispensable in laying down the primary colors as well as shading and highlighting. It can be a real time saver.

Thanks for taking the time to write the best painting article on this site.

Dave Clark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Something along the lines of "Thank you for all the nice/kind comments" is often used for responding to article comments, but it's really totally inadequate here, for comments such as these.

You guys have gone way beyond "nice" and "kind", and made me feel more than a little guilty, but also very grateful. What a community this is. I knew when I first saw the boxes that this hobby was for me, but I had no idea I would get to know so many fine people thrown into the bargain. :)

Perhaps that's why this hobby is so expensive - you're paying for the added benefit of all the excellent folk you're likely to meet. ;)

Really guys, jokes aside, I really cannot tell you how much I have gained from this community, including (but not limited to) inspiration, encouragement, comradery, real friendships, and just good old fashioned fun! And there's more to come, no doubt of that. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:09 am 
Dark Lord of Moria
Dark Lord of Moria

No idea why Mark, but your thumbnail on the homepage seemed not to appear for a lot of members. I have re-uploaded the image to imageshack to resolve the issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:54 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

That is a joy to read. I think your care, attention to detail and the enthusiasm for your art shine through. That has pushed the bar up a few notches for the rest of us, and I will be referring to this when I get as far as Master Legolas. Very well done!

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:02 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

A superb guide with perfect result! Very easy to follow and a pleasure to read. Special thanks for sharing your sealing advice. So far I`ve always been to scared too seal my minis (yes, none of them are!), because I just couldn't find the right way to do it. But I guess I should, and your secret weapon sounds just like what I've been looking for.
Thanks for that, Mark :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

:o `That is one nice article, and welll explained :)

Stefan :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I foung reading this article particularly enjoyable - great pictures that show very nicely each step and very interesting and insightful comments from the author. I was truly captivated.
You are definitely one of the best painters that I know and it's really great that you share your knowledge of the hobby in your wonderful articles. Each time a new one from you appear on the site I expect top quality and I've never been disappointed.
Having read it I instantly feel like forgetting about my exam session and painting instead of studying :) Unfortunately, this will have to wait until the end of June.
This article will definitely come in handy when I will be painting my plastic Legolas model from Mines of Moria.
Thanks for submitting it and I hope to see more of your articles on the site in the future!
Cheers!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:50 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

One of the best painting articles I've ever read. Sure, the painting guide part is great, but what really impressed me was how you let us "get into" your painting methods. You know I have always admired your style and how you can make for example clothing on miniatures look like the real thing. It was wonderful to read about how you paint and get all those little tricks sprinkled all around the article.

-- Pasi
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:42 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey mate! You never cease to amaze me with your talents, and your writing abilities! A great written article, interesting, easy to understand, and with one of the best painted legolas' I have ever seen! I love your style and your talent, aswell as your kindness and politness as a person. Just superb mark! Keep it up!:)

Take care

Torstein:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:04 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

An inspirational, passionate and precise article... a pure pleasure, easy to follow, practical solutions and well illustrated.

Your style of painting is admirable, and i would say it tends more to the real than the comic... given the right day and the right judge there is no reason why you couldn't win a competition.

Thanks for your generosity Mark,

Dennis