All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 23  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:13 am 
Dark Lord of Moria
Dark Lord of Moria

Quote:
The only thing is al I cant view you pics I get little red x's of your lastest updates.

Checked the thread John and 'every' image is showing for me ?

Done some work on the canopy this morning, to be honest, I am not really happy with what I have produced so far, think all it needs is some Milliput added to disfuse the angles of curves meeting horizontal.
Anyway, work continues, albeit slowly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:32 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Not really happy with this panel. This is actually my third attempt at it and I ballsed up the brickwork (again). I'm not keen on starting again for the fourth time, so I might just leave this and disguise it with ivy leaves or something.

This is the next panel along from the kitchen - John Howe's design has it as the bedroom, but I would assume it to be a dining room (next to the kitchen after all).

The reason parts of it are unpainted is because they will be hidden behing the grassy hillside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:41 pm 
Dark Lord of Moria
Dark Lord of Moria

Its a loverly piece of work...but what the hell is it ?

I am sure this guy has inside information :-X

Your thinking outside the box aren't you ? Damn it I hate you !

Really Alan, its a great looking piece and as you state, foliage will enhance it even more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:37 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I love how the stone work looks so realistic, you're indeed thinking outside the box! Brian, you must build another box around his box, and then think outside of that box. Never fails.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:34 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hey fellas,

I don't comment on this thread very often, but I follow it to see the amazing skill you guys possess. Alan, the cracked plaster with the bricks underneath is sheer genius.

Keep up the good work, guys!

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:28 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Most of us would be delighted to manage such technical dexterity even once, but these two have to show off and do it again and again and again... :sad:

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

and then even dare to say they are disappointed, you're unnatural, you're an alien :galadriel:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:09 am 
Dark Lord of Moria
Dark Lord of Moria

I need to make an apology to Alan, as I have just read through this thread thoroughly, and even with what Alan has posted and the fact that he has sent me images and sketches...
I just realised that his interpretaion is mostly based on Alan Lee's sketches. No wonder he's kicking my [word deleted] !!!
(+ the fact he's better than me at this stuff...[word deleted]).

Anywho, waiting for some stuff to arrive, thought it would be here by now, but not, so I have moved onto the very first window on the far right. Wanted to get something done before Alan to show that its my own interpretation and not a copy of Alans, then he can come back and blow me out of the water. (so dont post this one Alan until after me).

I am working on a completely different technique now, so please bear with me.
Even though it will never be seen (or most of it), I want to start with a brick section (horizontal is no problem), then plaster over as it would really be done...so thats my plan.
Pics soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:47 am 
Administrator
Administrator

:rofl: I've been scratching my head over some of your comments when I kept telling you I was using the design sketches from the appendices of the FOTR DVD.

I haven't worked on the window to the right of the door yet, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out for you. I have one more panel to the left to do and then the back door plus a couple of interiors, before I tackle those two windows, so we won't be working in each other's shadow for a while.

I might first try and add the foliage to my recent panel though to disguise the cr@ppy brickwork, since I everytime I stare at it I grow to dislike it even more.

(Oh, and they're John Howe's sketches)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:54 am 
Administrator
Administrator

It was either disguise it or start again.

So I disguised it...

The ivy is made from rubberised horse hair (never seen a rubberised horse before, but evidently you can get them) and some coloured 'ivy' leaves - both from Antenociti's Workshop. Since taking that photo, I've darkened the leaves a little with some GW green wash and they look a little more 'alive' now.

Next panel I do, I'll try and take lots of step-by-step photos and show you my approach to making this sort of thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Looks great, is that real leaves or aritificial? Would love that kind of stuff for my diorama. Good move darkening down the right panel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:01 pm 
Dark Lord of Moria
Dark Lord of Moria

The leaves are artificial Kris, Ivy leaves, or 'Leaf Litter' from Antenocitis...

Click on 'Shop' then 'Scratchbuilders Paradise' for some great stuff !
Click HERE for Antenocitis.

Well, as said, Iv'e been working on Window No: 1 (no fancy or actual names, no idea what NAAZZGUUUUUL! room it is, I'm not that anal).

Very pleased with how this came out and thoroughly enjoyed putting together, not happy with the pics though.
Had to use 'lighting effects' in Photoshop, but all colours are still a little dark. The walls are a 'tad' lighter, where as the wood is a lot lighter and more Grey than Brown...anywho...

Moving onto Window No: 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:03 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Actually the leaves are real, not artificial - they come from the seed pods of the silver birch tree. But trying to gather them and remove the seeds yourself is time consuming and tedious and then you have to paint them. So I find it more convenient to use the ones from AW.

And that would be a bedroom window Brian. Beautifully done too! The bricks are astounding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:55 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Correct..Silver Birch. I have a big coffee jar full of the seed pods. There are quite a few of the trees growing where I work. Once the pods are dry you can break the pods apart with your fingers, this gives you the leaves and a clear membrane that holds the seed. The membrane is way lighter than the leaf, so take a handful and gently blow. The membrane will fly away and the leaf drops back down into your container...blow real gentle.
It only takes a few minutes and is easier than separating by hand/tweeser...cheaper too.

Anyhoo..those bricks look great :yay:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:03 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dagorlad wrote:
The ivy is made from rubberised horse hair (never seen a rubberised horse before, but evidently you can get them)

:rofl:

The updates just get better and better, loving those windows and brickwork. It was interesting to compare the same sections earliar in the thread however it will be more exciting to see different portions of Bag End from the two of you.

DurinsBane wrote:
I am working on a completely different technique now, so please bear with me.
Even though it will never be seen (or most of it), I want to start with a brick section (horizontal is no problem), then plaster over as it would really be done...so thats my plan.

Are you really planning on plastering over all that brickwork? It looks brilliant at the moment, besides why would hobbits need to plaster their walls in the first place, surely the brickwork is strong enough. Does anyone know why people use plaster to cover brickwork anyway? :roll:

Keep up the great job guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:40 am 
Dark Lord of Moria
Dark Lord of Moria

Quote:
Are you really planning on plastering over all that brickwork? It looks brilliant at the moment

The piece is finished, what I meant was 'partial' covering, like crumbling plaster.

Just finished the 2nd this morning...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:15 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Well done Master Balrog - you have done more versions of Windows than Microsoft! :twisted:

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:16 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

:rofl:

I love Dorth......

Hey, That is looking amazing, I would have messed up so much when painting that!!

Great job!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:35 am 
Administrator
Administrator

@El Rabbito, I never thought of blowing them to separate the seeds from the leaves. I'll give that a try this weekend - I have about 5 or 6 silver birches growing in my garden, so I have an endless supply. I didn't know where these 'leaves' came from until after I bought some from AW and opened the pack. Still, now I have the bought ones, I'll put them to good use.

Brian, simply stunning! The colours of the bricks are so well done. I cannot for the life of me think how you have done them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:24 am 
Dark Lord of Moria
Dark Lord of Moria

Quote:
Brian, simply stunning! The colours of the bricks are so well done. I cannot for the life of me think how you have done them.

Sorry Alan, had to laugh. Whilst thinking of how to paint the bricks, I looked at some of your recent and past efforts and always loved the combination of colours you use and the effect you achieve.

Not wanting to copy, I simply set out and gently drybrushed the bricks with some Scorched Brown. I had planned to do more with it, but after the initial drybrush, I really liked how they looked, so I went heavier in small places and stayed light in others...thats it, simple drybrush :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 23  Next